Sunday, June 3, 2012

What I did on my spring vacation

I drove over to Santa Fe for a week and took a class on icon painting. I really enjoyed it.


This is an icon of the Virgin Mary. I have to thank my teacher, Philip Davydov, for all the help he provided. About the only thing I can say was truly my work was the painted ribbon and the gilding around the face.

If you're interested in icon painting (also known as icon writing), Philip comes from Russia to the USA about once a year and does a few classes. Here is his website:  Sacred Murals Studio. Philip knows his stuff and is amazingly patient. I've done a few other classes with other teachers (not just icons) and this was probably my favorite class because Philip has such a great personality and is very easygoing. It was a most enjoyable week!

I should note that I don't consider myself religious and I consider myself "post-churched." (Been there, done that, got the commemorative Bible stuffed full of old church bulletins.) But I do have a great interest in religious art, particularly popular devotional art.

No comments:

Post a Comment